Your responsibilities as a limited company director include:
- Your company must be registered at Companies House
- Your company's annual accounts must be filed at Companies House
- A Confirmation Statement must be submitted annually. This can be done online or via post. This is a filing requirement introduced in 2016 to replace the Annual Return (Form AR01).
- Submit an annual Corporation Tax to HMRC. Any outstanding tax must be paid within nine months and one day of your company's year-end accounting.
- Register for Self Assessment with HMRC, and submit your personal tax return each year.
- If you have employees and are running the company payroll, you need to report your employees' payments and deductions to HMRC on or before your employees' payday. You need to pay what you owe to HMRC each month.
- If your VAT taxable turnover exceeds the VAT threshold, you'll need to register for VAT and complete your VAT returns online at the end of every financial quarter.
- Maintain proper company records