How do I file a Members Voluntary Strike Off?

We'll quickly explain why you may want to file for a Members Voluntary Strike Off and how the process works.

By Chris Andreou
Last updated
February 2, 2024
Free business accounting consultation for contractors, freelancers, self employed and limited companies

Speak to an accountant

Get a free 20 minute consultation about starting your business

Limited company accounting from £75

How do I file a Members Voluntary Strike Off? guide
How do I file a Members Voluntary Strike Off? guide

Why file for a Members Voluntary Strike Off?

A Members Voluntary Liquidation is the process of bringing a solvent company to a close. This option is available only if your company is solvent, and one of the following conditions apply:

  • You want to retire
  • You want to step down from the family business, and no one else wants to run the company
  • You don’t want to run the business anymore

The Members Voluntary Strike Off process:

To apply for this process, you need to:

  • Make a ‘Declaration of solvency’ (for English and Welse companies)
  • Request for form 4.25 (Scot) from the Accountant in Bankruptcy (Scottish companies)

After signing the declaration or form, there are a few additional steps you need to take before completing the process. This information is available on the HMRC website.

Small business owner creating a Limited Company
Registration, tax and limited company accounting support from £75/mo

We can help you with registering a limited company, take home pay, London business address, a dedicated accountant, accounting software and all your company filing from only £75/mo.

Read more Limited Company guides