Trusted by Hundreds of Contractors & Consultants
Are you a contractor looking for reliable and affordable contractor accounting services? Look no further! GoForma is here to provide top-notch contractor accountancy services tailored to your unique needs. Our team of experienced contractor accountants specializes in assisting contractors with their financial management, ensuring compliance, and maximizing tax savings. With our expertise, you can focus on what you do best while we care for your contractor accounting needs.
Self Employed Meaning
Being self-employed means working for yourself rather than being employed by someone else or a company. Self-employed individuals are responsible for running their own business and managing all aspects of it, including finances, marketing, and operations. They have control over their work, set their own hours, and are typically paid directly by clients or customers for the products or services they provide. Self-employed individuals are also responsible for paying their own taxes, National Insurance contributions, and other business-related expenses. This status can apply to various professions and industries, from freelancers and independent contractors to sole traders and small business owners.
Tax Responsibilities for Self-employed Individuals
- Self-employed individuals must register with HMRC within 3 moths for self-assessment and Class 2 National Insurance contributions.
- Submit an annual self-assessment tax return to HMRC by the deadline (usually by January 31st following the end of the tax year).
- Open a separate business bank account for your business.
- Self-employed individuals are required to pay Class 2 and Class 4 National Insurance contributions based on their profits.
- If your tax bill is over £1,000, you may need to make payments on account towards your next tax bill, usually due by January 31st and July 31st each year.
- If your business turnover exceeds the VAT threshold (£85,000 as of 2024), you must register for VAT and submit VAT returns to HMRC.
- If you employ staff, it's important to setup a PAYE system. This system helps collect income tax and National Insurance contributions from your employees.
Registering for Self-Assessment Tax Returns
Registering for self-assessment tax returns is crucial for self-employed individuals to comply with tax obligations. If you're a self-employed professional, understanding the process and requirements can ensure you stay on top of your tax responsibilities.
Benefits of Having Accountants for Self Employed
Running a business as a sole trader comes with its own financial responsibilities. By hiring sole trader accountants for your accounting needs, you can enjoy numerous benefits:
- Expert Advice: Experienced freelancer accountants can provide strategic advice on financial planning, tax optimization, and growth opportunities, helping you make informed decisions and maximize your business's potential.
- Time and Stress Savings: Outsourcing your accounting tasks frees up your time, allowing you to concentrate on core business activities while leaving the financial management to the professionals.
- Tax Optimization: Self Employed accountants are well-versed in tax regulations and can help identify eligible deductions, ensuring you take full advantage of allowable expenses and reduce your tax liability.
- Accurate Financial Reporting: Sole trader tax accountants maintain meticulous records of your financial transactions, providing accurate and up-to-date financial statements that give you a clear overview of your business's financial health.
What Expenses Can Self Employed Individuals Claim?
As a self-employed individual, you may be eligible to claim various expenses, reducing your taxable income. Here are some common expenses that self-employed individuals can claim:
- Office supplies and equipment
- Travel and transportation costs
- Professional fees (accounting, legal, etc.)
- Marketing and advertising expenses
- Business insurance premiums
- Rent or mortgage payments for business premises
- Training and professional development costs
It's essential to consult with expert accountants for sole traders to ensure that you are correctly claiming all eligible expenses and maximizing your tax deductions.
Cost of Accounting for Freelancers
The cost of accounting services for freelancers can vary depending on various factors such as the complexity of your business, the range of services required, and the accounting firm you choose. Typically, accounting fees for freelancers can be structured in different ways:
- Hourly Rate: Some accountants charge an hourly rate for the time spent on your accounting tasks. The rate may vary based on the experience and location of the accountant.
- Monthly Fee or Annual Retainer: You may have the option to pay a fixed monthly or annual fee to retain the services of an accountant. This can provide you with ongoing support and access to various accounting services.
- Package Pricing: Some accounting firms offer packaged pricing, where you can choose from different service bundles based on your specific needs. These packages often include a combination of bookkeeping, tax preparation, financial reporting, and advisory services.
Why Choose GoForma to Hire Accountants for Sole Traders in the UK?
At GoForma, we understand the unique challenges faced by self-employed individuals, and we offer specialized accountancy services designed to meet your specific needs. Here's why we are the right choice for your accounting requirements:
- Expertise: Our team of qualified accountants has extensive experience working with self-employed individuals. We understand the nuances of your industry and can provide valuable insights and great service tailored to your business.
- Dedicated Accountant: At GoForma, you get your own dedicated accountant who will be your reliable point of contact throughout your journey. The sole trader accountant understands your business, offers personalized solutions and provides unlimited support to assist you with any queries or concerns.
- Time-saving Solutions: Managing your finances can be time-consuming and complicated. By partnering with GoForma, you can offload the burden of bookkeeping, tax compliance, and financial reporting, allowing you to focus on running your business.
- Compliance Assurance: As a self-employed individual, staying compliant with tax regulations is crucial. Our accountants stay up-to-date with the latest tax laws and ensure that your financial records are accurate, complete, and filed correctly and on time.
- Cost Efficiency: Our accounting services are designed to provide value for money. We offer flexible pricing packages tailored to the needs of self-employed professionals, ensuring you receive top-notch service without breaking the bank.
- Stay Organized with Digital Receipts and Making Tax Digital (MTD): GoForma uses the best accounting software to ditch the lengthy paperwork and embrace digital receipts. Our online accounting software is fully compatible with Making Tax Digital (MTD), ensuring seamless income tax payments to HMRC.
- Partnership with FreeAgent: As a partner of FreeAgent, a leading bookkeeping software, we provide a seamless accounting experience by using features like automated bank feeds, expense tracking, simplified invoicing, and real-time financial reporting.
What Does Our Accounting Services for Freelancers Include?
At GoForma, we offer comprehensive accounting services specifically tailored for freelancers. Our services include:
Sole Trader Bookkeeping:
We handle all aspects of bookkeeping, including recording financial transactions, reconciling accounts, and maintaining accurate records of sole trader business income and expenses.
Tax Planning and Compliance:
Our expert accountants provide proactive tax planning to ensure compliance with tax regulations. We help you meet tax deadlines and submit accurate self assessment tax returns.
We prepare regular financial reports, including profit and loss, balance sheets, and cash flow statements. These reports provide valuable insights into your business's financial performance and help you make informed decisions.
Managing payroll for self-employment can be a daunting task. That's where GoForma steps in to simplify the process. Our accounting services for self-employed professionals extend to efficient payroll management. From calculating accurate payments to handling tax deductions, we ensure your payroll is handled smoothly and compliantly.
We can manage your VAT registration, VAT returns, ensuring timely submissions and compliance with VAT regulations.
Freeagent - Best Self Employed Accounting Software
We have partnered with FreeAgent as our preferred accounting software. FreeAgent gives you access to a wide range of features designed specifically for self-employed individuals. From invoicing and expense tracking to tax calculations and reporting, FreeAgent streamlines your financial tasks, saving you time and effort.
GoForma - Best Accountancy Firm Trusted by Self Employed
Partnering with GoForma for your self-employed accounting needs is a smart decision that allows you to streamline your financial management and focus on growing your business. Our experienced team of accountants understands self-employed individuals' specific challenges and offers tailored solutions to meet your unique requirements. Check out our Google and Trustpilot reviews shared by numerous self employed individuals like you. Take advantage of our expertise, save time and money, and gain peace of mind knowing that your tax affairs are in expert hands.
Switching accountants with GoForma is a straightforward process:
- Inform your current accountant of your decision in writing and request the transfer of your financial records and any relevant documentation.
- Ensure that all outstanding fees are settled with your current accountant before making the switch.
- Collaborate closely with your new self employed accountant at GoForma to facilitate a smooth transition and provide them with all necessary information to effectively manage your finances.
Effective communication and proper planning can make the transition seamless, ensuring that your business continues to receive quality accounting services without interruption.
Frequently Asked Questions on Self Employed Accountants
How much does an accountant cost for a freelancer?
The cost of an accountant for a freelancer can vary depending on factors such as the accountant's experience, the services required, and the complexity of your finances. On average, freelancers can expect to pay anywhere from £35 to £150 per month or more for accounting services.
How many times a year do self employed pay taxes?
Self employed people make estimated tax payments twice a year, known as 'payments on account.' These payments are based on their expected tax liability for the current tax year and are typically due by January 31st and July 31st. The tax is calculated based on the freelancer's profits, which is their total income minus allowable business expenses.
What records do I need to keep if I am Self-Employed?
As a self-employed individual, it's important to maintain records related to your business for at least six years:
- Income Records
- Expense Records
- Business Bank Statements
- Tax Records
- VAT Records (if VAT registered)
- Payroll Records (if applicable)
- Mileage Records
- Receipts for Capital Assets
- Contracts and Agreements
- Insurance Records
- Construction Industry Scheme (CIS) records